Reception of Holy Communion
- Before receiving Holy Communion, every Orthodox Christian is obliged to read the following preparatory rite:
- As is possible for those who are able, the following may also be read for a yet fuller preparation (these being read prior to the Order of Preparation; some read these one the eve of receiving the Mysteries, and the Order in the morning):
- The Canons for Holy Communion (being the Supplicatory Canon to Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Canon to the Theotokos and the Canon to the Guardian Angel), preceded by the customary opening prayers and Psalm.
- Into the Canons, between Odes 6 and 7, we insert one of the following Akathist hymns:
- After receiving Holy Communion, all Christians read the following: